American Red Cross Releases New Tornado App
As you know we are in the middle of tornado alley and when tornado season hits it is good to be prepared. Our ProNews 7 Storm Search team keep us up to date, but wouldn’t it be great to have an app for your phone to do the same? Guess what? You can now download an app for that.
The American Red Cross has officially released their new tornado app.
The app is available for iPad, iPhones and Android phones and tablets. It is also available in English and Spanish.
The app will alert the user even while sleeping. It will let out a high pierced alarm if the NOAA has tornado warning has been issued, even if the app is closed.
“Tornadoes often happen in the overnight hours when people are sleeping,” said Steve Pair, executive director of the Texas Panhandle Chapters. “The audible alerts in this app can save lives – even if users can’t monitor the weather because they are away from radio, TV or in places where weather band radios may not work.”
Once the warning has expired the user will also receive an all clear alert.
Other great features include:
– Location-based NOAA tornado, severe thunderstorm and flood watch and warning alerts;
– Enhanced weather maps;
– One-touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends that they are out of harm’s way;
– Simple steps and checklists people can use to create an emergency plan and share it with household members;
– Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
– Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm;
– Locations of open Red Cross shelters; and
– Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
The app is available now, I just downloaded it from my app store and have been playing with it.
Be safe and alert during tornado season.