It’s National Hot Dog Day – Here’s Some Delicious Hot Dog Recipes
It is National Hot Dog Day! So here is a list of recipes you can try this weekend when you are having your backyard BBQs. Let's celebrate the Hot Dog together!
* 1 all-beef hot dog
* 1 poppyseed hot dog bun
* 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
* 1 tablespoon sweet green pickle relish
* 1 tablespoon chopped onion
* 4 tomato wedges
* 1 dill pickle spear
* 2 sport peppers
* 1 dash celery salt
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, place hot dog in water, and cook 5 minutes or until done. Remove hot dog and set aside. Carefully place a steamer basket into the pot and steam the hot dog bun 2 minutes or until warm. 2. Place hot dog in the steamed bun.
Pile on the toppings in this order: yellow mustard, sweet green pickle relish, onion, tomato wedges, pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt. The tomatoes should be nestled between the hot dog and the top of the bun. Place the pickle between the hot dog and the bottom of the bun. Don't even think about ketchup!
For the NY Onion Sauce:
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 large onions, halved and cut 1/4-inch thick
* 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 cup ketchup * 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup Dijon mustard mixed with 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
For the Roasted Red Pepper Relish:
* 3 roasted red peppers, julienned
* 3 cloves roasted garlic, coarsely chopped
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* Freshly ground black pepper
For the hot dogs:
* 8 kosher beef hot dogs
* 8 good quality hot dog buns, split 3/4 through
For the NY Onion Sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Stir in the cinnamon and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup, water, hot sauce and salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook mixture for 10 to15 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature before serving.
For the Roasted Red Pepper Relish: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. For the hot dogs: Heat the grill to high. Grill dogs until golden brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Remove to a plate. Place buns on the grill cut side down and grill until lightly golden brown, about 20 seconds.
For assembly: Place hot dog into prepared bun. Top with NY Onion Sauce, Horseradish Mustard and then with the Roasted Red Pepper Relish.
Coney Island Dog
1 pound ground chuck
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 six ounce can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon dried, minced onion
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Brown ground beef in a skillet, adding onions half way through. Add minced garlic when meat is nearly done. Add remaining ingredients; stir well to combine. Simmer over low heat 15 minutes.
Serve over hot dogs, Coney Island style!
1 1/4 lb ground beef
1 large onion (About 1 cup chopped)
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbls chili powder
2 tsp worchesershire sauce
1 tsp cider or white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)
Place the beef, onion and 2 cups of water in a Dutch oven or soup pot over very high heat. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir to begin breaking up the meat. Add the tomato paste, ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper, if using. Stir well until the tomato paste and ketchup are dissolved and the meat is mostly broken up. Continue to cook at a simmer, stirring about every 5 minutes, about 15 minutes. As the chili thickens, you may need to reduce the heat to med-low or low so it doesn't stick. Refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days, or freeze in small freezer bags up to 6 months. Thaw or reheat in a microwave, stirring often.
Makes about 1 qt.
* 1 grilled hot dog (see Tip)
* 1 whole-wheat hot dog bun, toasted if desired
* 2 tablespoons diced avocado
* 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
* 1 tablespoon alfalfa sprouts
* 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
Preparation 1. Place hot dog in bun; top with avocado, onion and sprouts and sprinkle with curry powder.
Tips & Notes * Tip: Not all hot dogs are created equal. Reaching for the right brand in the grocery store can have a huge impact on your intake of fat and sodium. For a healthier hot dog, choose one that’s no more than 150 calories, has 3 grams or less of saturated fat and 370 mg or less of sodium.