Pop! Vinyl Figures: Are They The Next Collectable Craze?
What started out as a small project in 1998 by Mike Becker has turned into one of the latest collectable crazes.
Here are some facts on Funko, the company that is creating these little vinyl figures and taking the country by storm.
- The first toyline from Funko was 'Wacky Wobblers.'
- Their first bobblehead was Bob's 'Big Boy.'
- Has signed licensing deals with Lucas Film, Hasbro, Marvel, CBS, Fox, Warner Brothers, Elvis Presley and Microsoft.
- The figures are modeled in a Japanese chibi style.
- Currently there are over 300 different characters produced with new characters added all the time.
- Figures are broken down into sub categories including; Disney Pop!, Pop! TV, Pop! Movies, Pop! Rocks.
- Some of the best selling characters, at the moment, are from 'The Big Bang Theory,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'The Walking Dead' and 'Sons of Anarchy.'
- Regular Pop! Vinyl figures are 3.7 inches tall, but there are also limited quantities of "Giant" 9 inch figures and 2 inch "mini" figures of some of the more popular characters.
- The company is based in Lynnwood, Washington.
The latest sub-category is the Pop! Rides which include a figure in their respected car.
Word of warning: These little 'nuggets' can become highly addicting if you start to collect them.