The Making of a Valentine’s Day Box – The Kid Wanted Titanic
So Valentine's Day is tomorrow and I have a child so he had the assignment of creating a Valentine's Day Box. So what does he ask to make, The Titanic. I tell you why in a bit.
First of all let me start this off with, I'm not that crafty mom. In fact, I freak out about projects like this, because I am not that mom. However, when your child says this is what I want to make and I need help. You kind of figure it out.
My kid is somewhat of a history buff. One day my niece brought a book over about the Titanic and from that point on my son was hooked on the history of this sinking ship. He can tell you the complete history of this ship. We have seen the movie a gazillion times (of course skipping all the adult parts, until I recorded the edited for TV version). I have watched and read so many books about the Titanic with him that I could tell you the complete history of this ship. So when his teacher gave him the assignment of creating a Valentine's Day box. This is what we did.
It took me a few days to come up with an idea of how we could do it, but in the end, it was cardboard, tape, and paint. Oh, and some pipe cleaners.
So I cut out two pieces of cardboard, we taped them at the ends, and bent it to form the point of the boat. (yes that is painters tape, it won't rip the cardboard if you have to remove it).
the ship has to have a top so I cut that out and taped it to the top of the other pieces. See the tubes, they make perfect steam stacks and I got those from an old wrapping paper roll. E thought those were the most fun to paint.
Time for the first layer of paint. I think that this is what E. loved the most was the painting. The tricky part, the many layers of paint to cover the blue tape. (I told you he was obsessed, see the books in the top left corner, that's just only a few we have).
So there was more than one level on the Titanic, so we created the top part out of the bottom of another smaller box.
So this was the finished product. It only took us a day and a half to make.
So the next project is a plant costume for a 1st Grade play. That should be fun.