The Orange Barrels and Cones Continue to Dominate Amarillo Highways, Streets and Interstates
In case you haven’t noticed Amarillo is under construction. Everywhere you go in Amarillo you will run into construction. Here are the areas you might want to avoid this week.
- Loop 335, expect various lane closures from Interstate 27 to Interstate 40 (Hollywood/Soncy) in both directions for fog seal operations Monday through Thursday.
- Amarillo Boulevard, the left lane will be closed in both directions at Grand Street to the Palo Duro Bridge for patching Monday through Wednesday.
- Right lane of westbound I-40 will be closed from Helium Road to Adkinson Road for fog seal operations Wednesday and Thursday.
- Slow moving operations in the left lane of both I-27 and I-40 for vegetation management throughout the week.
US 60 Downtown
- Northbound thru traffic on I-27 will be detoured to Fillmore Street for approximately three weeks beginning Wednesday, March 22.
- Buchanan Street will be closed to thru traffic between 8th and 6th avenues for approximately three weeks beginning Wednesday, March 22.
- Continued closures at the intersection of 10th Avenue and Buchanan Street. Traffic traveling eastbound on 10th Avenue will detour to 11th Avenue and westbound traffic will detour to 3rd Avenue. The intersection for eastbound and westbound traffic is scheduled to be opened by the end of the day Tuesday, March 21. Northbound traffic on
- Buchanan Street will continue to be detoured to Fillmore Street.
- Continued closures on Pierce Street at 6th Avenue through Monday, March 20. Traffic will be detoured to 4th Avenue to Taylor Street.
- Thru traffic from Pierce Street at the north dispersal will be detoured to Taylor Street.
- Fillmore Street will be down to one lane between 5th and 7th avenues through Monday March 20.
I-40 Bridge Replacement (Soncy/Loop 335)
- 9 a.m. on Thursday, March 23, the traffic signals will be shut off at Westgate Parkway for installation of new signals. This work should only last until noon. The traffic at the intersection will be controlled by using four-way stop signs and flaggers. The contractor will have various lane closures through this period as they will have work over different lanes in the intersection. Eastbound traffic traveling over Soncy Road on I-40 is shifted to the north, limiting traffic to one lane in each direction while bridge construction continues for the next several months.
- Right-turn only lane going northbound on Loop 335 to the I-40 frontage road is closed.
I-40 Bridge Repair (Ross/Arthur)
- Arthur Street underpass at I-40 will be closed on the Tuesday Morning, March 21, for demolition, and will reopen on Thursday evening, March 30. After reopening Arthur Street, the outside (right) lanes, northbound and southbound, will be closed at the I-40 overpass.
- Outside lanes of I-40 westbound and eastbound will be closed from Nelson Street to I-27.
- Left lane of the I-40 westbound frontage road will be closed from Quarter Horse Drive to Arthur Street.
- Outside lane of the I-40 eastbound frontage road will be closed in the area of Osage Street.
- Left lane of the I-40 eastbound frontage road between Wilson and Ross streets will be closed.
Downtown Connector (I-40 & I-27 Interchange)
- Left lane of the northbound I-27 frontage road is closed just north of the 26th Avenue exit for widening construction and other improvements.
- Ramp from 26th Avenue onto I-27 northbound also is closed.
- Ongoing closure of the I-27 southbound frontage road (left lane) and the center and right lane of I-27 south at the interchange as work continues on bridge construction.
South Loop 335 (Hollywood):
- Circle Drive will be closed at Loop 335 until the westbound frontage road can be opened to traffic.
- Washington Street to I-27, the speed limit is reduced to 45 mph in both directions.
Southbound traffic on Bell Street will be reduced to one lane from north of LP 335 to south of LP 335.
- On-ramp from Washington Street to westbound Loop 335 is temporally realigned for widening.
- Intersection of South Western Street and Loop 335 is controlled by temporary traffic signals.
- Intersection of South Georgia Street and Loop 335 has a four-way stop condition.
- Traffic on Western Street crossing LP 335 will be moved from the east side of Western Street to the newly constructed west lanes. Traffic will still be reduced to one lane in each direction with a right turn lane for southbound traffic at the LP 335 intersection.
- Work continues on and along the shoulders from Washington Street to I-27.
- Access to Loop 335 at Olympia Drive has been permanently closed.