The West Nile Outbreak Expected To Worsen
Every year there is a fear of mosquitoes. They bite you and leave you itching for days, but this year the fear is for a far more serious reason. The West Nile Virus has been spreading throughout the state and is expected to get worse.
As of today, 640 case of the virus have been reported in the state of Texas. Of the 640 case, 23 have reported in death. Now while most of these cases are in the Dallas area, four cases have been reported here in Amarillo.
The virus is very hard to detect with as much as 80% will experience no symptoms. The other 20% will have mild flu-like symptoms with fever, body aches, nausea and vomiting.
Although it is hard to tell where mosquitoes are lurking, there are some precautions you can take to prevent getting bit.
-First off, get rid of any standing water. If there are buckets or pots with water, dump them out. This will prevent mosquitoes from hatching.
-Cover up. If you know you are going to be outside, put on long sleeves and pants.
-Avoid being outside at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
-Use repellants containing DEET.
These are a few tips to protect you and your family. Be safe and help prevent the West Nile Virus from spreading any further.