Here’s the Reason Shopper’s Remorse Exists
A new survey by Checkout magazine reveals that 40% of female shoppers are likely to make an impulse purchase every time they shop. Read on for other findings.
- 15% of female shoppers make an impulse purchase every time they shop
- 29% of male shoppers are likely to make an impulse purchase every time they shop.
- 6% of men make an impulse purchase every time they shop.
- 49% of women are responsible for all of the shopping in their household.
But why do we impulse buy? Here's five reasons from Psychology Today:
- We Love To Shop! It's pretty simple. People really get a lot of enjoyment out of buying things.
- The Loss Aversion Switch. What that means, we do things in order to NOT to feel bad later.
- Twisted Heuristics. Most of the time, shopping is really arduous. We research every item and look at price, reviews, and even customer service.
- The Desire To Save. We are susceptible to the opportunity to save money. Retailers capitalize on this by telling us how much we will save.
- Rose Tinted Glasses. We have no objectivity. We think if we buy a certain item, it will change us into something we want to be. (i.e.: exercise machines).
So shop away, but try to manage your impulses!