Over the holidays, hover boards seemed to be the must-have item of the season. While they can be a really cool method of transportation, they also have a bit of a dangerous side...

After many people reported that their hover boards spontaneously caught on fire, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission launched an investigation in December. CPCS revealed that there had been 28 hover board-related fires in 19 states and 70 severe injuries and counting.

So, in the interest of student safety, WT officials decided to stop the problem before it starts by updating the Code Of Student Life to reflect new rules.

The new rules state:

The Hoverboard ban prohibits the use, possession, charging or storage of all Hoverboards, Swagways, IO Hawks, Skywalkers, self-balancing boards or similar devices in the WTAMU residence halls, academic buildings, all other campus buildings, campus grounds and other off-campus properties controlled by the University.

Hopefully, these regulations will prevent student accidents and any hover board-related fires on campus.