3 Things You Need To Keep In Mind With Amarillo’s Frigid Temps
While we may not be getting a white Christmas, we're definitely getting a cold one. It is going to be insanely cold over the next few days. How cold? Cold enough that the City of Amarillo sent out a press release about it.
Here are three things you need to keep in mind with the frigid temps.
Do What You Need To Do So Your Pipes Won't Freeze
Hopefully, you've already taken steps to make sure your pipes stay healthy during the upcoming arctic slap in the face. If not, here are a few quick reminders.
In a press release from the City of Amarillo, they remind everyone to do the basics.
- Let your faucets drip
- Keep cabinet doors open that lead to pipes. Warm air from the rest of house can help keep the pipes from freezing.
- Insulate pipes that are exposed to the cold. Think pipes that are more exposed to north winds.
- Keep the heat over 55, even when you're not home. Why is 55 the magic number? I'm not sure. I'm just the messenger.
For The Love Of Pet Gods, Bring Your Pets Inside
This is a big one. We've all heard the cheesy saying, "If you're cold, they're cold." It's true though. If at all possible, bring your animals inside during the intense cold.
If you have to leave your animal outside, there are some guidelines you are required to follow.
- They must have insulated shelter
- They must have thawed water
- They must have a thawed food source
As a side note regarding animals, Animal Management and Welfare will be closed to the public tomorrow (Dec 22, 2022). The press release states they will be closed for the safety of the animals. They will be doing reclaims, however you are encouraged to check online regarding a lost animal instead of just showing up at the shelter wanting to know if they have your pet.
Shelters Open Providing A Warm Place To Stay
For those with no place to go, who are in need of shelter from the cold, shelters will be open offering a warm place to stay.
- Guyon Saunders Resource Center - Day Shelter - 200 S. Tyler
- Faith City Mission - Day Shelter - 600 N. Tyler
- Salvation Army - Night Shelter - 400 S. Harrison
- Faith City Mission - Night Shelter - 600 N. Tyler
- Code Blue Warming Station - 207 N. Tyler