Know Before You Go: Roadwork Projects Around Amarillo This Week
Despite a hot week of temperatures expected across the Texas panhandle, that is not slowing crews down when it comes to working on existing road construction projects and starting new ones. Each week, the Texas Department of Transportation outlines upcoming projects and work zones that could slow your commute. Here are the areas to try and avoid this week if possible:
- Watch for lane closures along Amarillo Boulevard as crews replace pavement markings.
- The right lane of Soncy Road southbound will be closed between Amarillo Boulevard and I-40 for drainage work.
- Watch for mowers and weed eaters outside the city limits along I-40 and State Loop (SL) 335.
- Crews will make patching repairs in the following locations:
- Monday, July 6 – In the right lane of US 87 southbound at Willow Creek Avenue.
- Tuesday, July 7 – In the right lane of SL 335 westbound from Pavillard Drive to US 87.
- SL 434 (River Road) will be closed at the SL 335 intersection. Traffic will be detoured to Willow Creek Avenue.
- Wednesday, July 8 – FM 1912 northbound near US 60.
- Thursday July 9 – In the left lane of BI-40 (Amarillo Boulevard) northbound between Raef Road and US 60.
- The left lane of the I-40 eastbound frontage road will remain closed from the Whitaker Road on-ramp to 700 feet east of the ramp while the contractor constructs a temporary on-ramp. This closure will be in place for about one month.
- The I-40 eastbound entrance ramps will be closed for hot mix overlay at Arnot Road on Tuesday, July 7, and at Bushland Road on Wednesday, July 8.
As always, all projects are subject to change due to weather, emergency work and other unexpected events. At this point, the hot weather is not expected to delay any of the above projects.