Amarillo Roadwork Projects: Know Before You Go Report
With the colder and wet weather we saw last week, some area road construction projects had to be delayed a few days until the weather turned better. TxDOT is planning more major work along I-40 in eastern Amarillo as well as continuing maintenance around the region this week. Here are the areas that will have the most delays and should be avoided if possible:
- Expect various lane closures on Airport Boulevard in both directions for seal coat operations.
- There will be slow-moving herbicide operations along I-27 and I-40.
- Watch for left lane closures along I-27 and I-40 outside of town for cable barrier repair work.
- Crews will be replacing metal beam guard fence at the County Road 29 bridge on I-40 throughout the week.
CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: I-40 at Whitaker Road, Lakeside Drive and Pullman Road
- Starting Sunday, Sept. 13 at 4 p.m. and continuing through Wednesday, Sept. 16, crews will move traffic to the new bridges on I-40 westbound. Motorists should expect delays and shifting traffic patterns.
- I-40 westbound traffic from the Pullman Road entrance ramp to Eastern Street will be reduced to one lane during this time. Eastbound traffic will also be reduced to one lane starting at 7 p.m. each night.
- Weather permitting, the traffic detour will be completed in time for the morning commute on Thursday, Sept. 17. All traffic will be on the new westbound bridges with traffic opened to two lanes in each direction.
- This traffic configuration will remain in place until the conclusion of the project, which is expected in November 2021.
All projects can be affected by changing weather. Schedules may be changed due to weather, emergency work and other unexpected events.