Here’s How to Keep Your Home Safe in the Winter to Prevent a Fire Tragedy
A 4-year old died in a house fire this past weekend in Amarillo. This was an unnecessary tragedy. Our hearts are broken for this family, and we hope nothing like this ever happens again, to anyone.
The home caught fire because the family was using a gas stove to heat their home. The fire coming from the burners caused the above cabinets to catch on fire. I completely understand wanting to keep your family warm in the winter. I understand, that if the furnace or heater is broke, this may have been the only option to keep the family warm. I know the cost to fix a broken heater can be astronomical, but the safety of your family is the most important thing.
Here's some tips on keeping your family safe and warm during the winter season.
- Never use an oven or stove to heat your home.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment like a furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater. This includes, curtains, bedding, blankets, etc.
- Use space heaters with automatic shut offs
- Do not use extension cords with your space heater and do not place the cords under rugs.
- Have extra blankets on hand in case the heater stops working.
- Keep an up-to-date fire extinguisher in your home
- Test your smoke detectors and change out the batteries. Best rule of thumb, change the batteries each time the time changes during the year.
- Have a fire plan for your family on what to do and where to go.
If you are unable to use the heater in your home due to money restrictions on repairs, reach out to different heating and air companies, they can help you finance your home repairs. You can also reach out to Panhandle Community Services for help. The City of Amarillo has also offered and Emergency Repair Grant.
Hopefully, these tips and sources can help another family avoid a tragedy in the future.
We are heartbroken for this family and the loss of their child.