Jason Witten is ending his year long retirement and is heading back to the Dallas Cowboys, at least for a year.

Witten retired after the 2017 season and began his broadcast career in the booth for Monday Night Football. Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the tight end is getting a one-year deal worth $3.5 million.

Witten debut was criticized early on by viewers of MNF as expectations were high due to the performances of other former Cowboys Troy Aikman, Darryl "Moose Johnson, and Tony Romo, who have adapted well to the broadcast booth.

ESPN issued a statement that said "  "We thank Jason for his many contributions to Monday Night Football and to ESPN over the past year and wish him continued success," ESPN said in a statement. "We have seen many former coaches and players go into broadcasting before eventually returning to the game they love, so we understand Jason's desire to return to the Dallas Cowboys."

There had been rumors that Witten thought about rejoining the Cowboys during the 2018 season, but he stayed in the broadcast booth. Witten appears to have stayed in shape and his role will be more of a mentor as well as a safety blanket for Dak Prescott.

Is this the piece the Cowboys need for a run at the Super Bowl? Let us know what you think!