Mind Your Manners At Christmas
Most of us will be seeing a lot of people, between now and Christmas. Maybe it's family coming in, or your co-workers with their significant others. The holidays are a good time to refresh your manners, so you make the best impression.
We all know what to do, we just forget sometimes. So to maximize good feelings around the in-laws or the boss's wife, here's a few reminders:
1. Say "Please" and "Thank you." Those of us raised in Texas, do this anyway, Nothing says you're polite than "Please" and "Thank you."
2. Smile at people you see. Co-workers, cashiers, servers, and everyone else you run into. A smile can disarm the person behind you in a long line. Make it a genuine smile and not psycho-like. Try it today. 98% of people will smile back.
3. Hold the door for the person behind you, be they male or female. I tend to wait until the last 48 hours, before I begin serious Christmas shopping. Sometimes, I don't see doors. You WILL get a "Thank you" from me.
4. It's Christmas for everyone and not just you. Give people a break and the benefit of not knowing what's going in their lives. The holidays are brutal on some folks who are missing loved ones, or have someone in the hospital. Be the chiil, that everyone needs.
5. Put your phone away during meals. You can check the Cowboys score anytime. If you have to take a call, get away from the table. Go outside or into another room.
6. Curb the cursing. All of those words will be there for you after the holidays. Give them a rest until then.
7. If you are sick-stay home! Nobody and I mean NOBODY wants to be sick at Christmas.
8. Remember your table manners, especially at the company Christmas party. Napkin in your lap, elbows off the table, and don't talk with your mouth full.
9. If you've been needing to tell someone you're sorry, this is time. It's Christmas, and most of us are in a forgiving mood. Take advantage of it.
10. Skip political talk. We are all worn out with it.
Try these tips at your next gathering. You'll be the hit of the occasion!