Amarillo Animal Management Proposing Big Ordinance Changes
The Amarillo Animal Management and Welfare is considering changing some its ordinances. Some of the ordinance changes may cause concern, some of the ordinance changes may solve some problems.
Some of the policy the AAM&W are wanting to change include:
- Changing the hold dates on strays from 3 days to 2 days, this means that the animals will only have 2 days to be reclaimed instead of three, thus shortening the time period in which they will get to live or be adopted. Read the proposed ordinance and changes here.
- Enhancing enforcement capabilities
- Breeder's Licenses - Those citizens wanting to breed animals would have to pay a licensing fee to do so.
- Spay/Neuter Fund Establishment
- Mandatory Spay/Neuters - All animals would have to be spayed or neutered unless a fee to opt out is paid.
- Notifications of impounded tagged animals
- Intact dogs and cats at large Read more about the changes to the above 5 ordinances here.
The AAM&W will be hosting information meetings this week and next week regarding the changes. If you would like to attend the meetings to ask questions or voice your concerns then the meeting times are as follows:
- Wednesday, May 23, 5 – 6 p.m., North Branch Library, 1500 N.E. 24th Ave.
- Thursday, May 24, 1-2 p.m., East Branch Library, 2232 E. 27th Ave.
- Wednesday, May 30, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Northwest Branch Library, 6100 W. 9th Ave.
- Thursday, May 31, 1-2 p.m., Southwest Branch Library, 6801 W. 45th Ave.
- Wednesday, June 6, 6 – 7 p.m., Downtown Branch Library, 413 E. 4th Ave.