I love to travel and visit family. I love to just get away. Now this may only get to happen once a year but t's what I live for.

I get to Rick Husband International Airport and show them my driver's license and am on my way. Well that is not going to be as easy starting next year as of October 1st.

If your license does not have a gold star on it above the expiration date you can't use it as your form of identification to travel within the U.S. They will turn you away. So avoid the heartache and get ready now.You need a new ID or Driver's License.

You will need to get your REAL ID. To do that it means making an appointment  at the DPS. You will also have to make sure you have the proper paperwork including your birth certificate or passport.

I fear the lines will start getting long and the wait time to get it in your hands may increase. So I promise it would be worth it to get it taken care of this year.

If you have any of these other forms of identification you are OK and can use them without a REAL ID:

  • Passport
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card
  • Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Any of these will be accepted too.

Again this goes into effect on October 1, 2020, if you are not able to provide any of these or have your REAL ID you will not be allowed through the TSA checkpoints. If you have children traveling with you, who are under 18, they will be OK.

Read here to get more information on your REAL ID.

I do not have any of the alternative form of identification. So I will be one making an appointment and getting me a REAL ID. I will also not be one waiting until the last minute. There is nothing I hate more than long lines.

Are you going to have to get a REAL ID too? Comment below.






More From Mix 94.1