3 Homemade chicken recipes you can make for under $20
So it's no question that chicken is a universal food. No matter where you go to eat there is always some type of chicken on the menu. And it's also not a question that people love a home cooked meal. So here are 3 chicken recipes that you can make at home for under $20 .
Oven-Baked Chicken Fajitas
These are super quick to make with only having a total cook time of 55 minutes and makes about 8 servings. Here are the ingredients that you will need for the fajitas.
1 large onion ($.63)
3 bell peppers any color ($3.63)
1 pound chicken breast($9.12)
2 table spoons of vegetable oil ($2.18)
1 medium lime ($.26)
8 6 inch tortillas ($2.77)
1 packet of fajita seasoning ($.65)
- Cut the onion and bell peppers into 1/4-inch wide strips. Place them in a large 13x15-inch casserole dish or a large baking sheet. Slice the chicken breast into very thin strips and add it to the casserole dish with the vegetables.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil over the chicken and vegetables, then sprinkle the fajita seasoning mix over top. Use your hands to toss the ingredients until everything is well coated in oil and seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring once half way through. Squeeze the juice from half of the lime over top of the meat and vegetables after they come out of the oven.
The total cost comes out $19.24.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
This is another great recipe as it makes a medium sized pizza and takes a total of 30 minutes to cook. Some of the ingredients that were used for the fajitas can be used again for this recipe. As the prices I listed for the fajitas were more then what you needed. But I will list two different total prices just incase this will also apply for the 3rd recipe. So if you did skip a recipe then it might go over 20 dollars. Okay now since we got that out of the way here is what you need to make the bbq chicken pizza.
1 pound chicken breast ($9.12)
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika ($2.46)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder($2.23)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon cooking oil ($2.18)
1/4 cup bbq sauce ($1.28)
1 prepared pizza dough ($1.73)
4 ounces of shredded monterey jack cheese ($2.24)
1/4 cup red onion ($.79)
1/2 cup bbq sauce ($1.28)
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Season both sides of the chicken breast with the spices.
- Heat a skillet over medium. Add the cooking oil and swirl to coat the surface of the skillet. Add the seasoned chicken breast and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through (internal temperature of 165ºF). Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, then chop into small pieces. Add ¼ cup BBQ sauce to the chopped chicken, and stir to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place the prepared pizza dough or crust on a pizza pan, then spread about ½ cup BBQ sauce over the surface.
- Add the cheese, BBQ chicken, and sliced onion to the pizza.
The total cost comes out to $12.01. And if the total cost if you skip the fajitas is $23.31.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Okay I saved the best for last home made chicken nuggets. This recipe makes about 24 nuggets and takes a total of 45 minutes to cook. Remember if you skipped over the other recipes the total price may go over $20. Here are the ingredients that you will need
1 cup of plain breadcrumbs ($1.08)
1/2 teaspoon garlic power ($2.23)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika ($2.46)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of cooking oil ($2.18)
1/3 cup of greek yogurt ($5.16)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 table spoons of water
1 pound chicken breast (9.12)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Place a wire cooling rack, or two, over a baking sheet to hold the nuggets as they bake.
- In a wide shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper (about 5 cranks of a pepper mill). Stir these ingredients together until evenly combined. Drizzle the oil over the breadcrumb mixture, then stir until the breadcrumbs are coated in oil. The breadcrumbs should look like damp sand.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, salt, and water until smooth. You want the yogurt to be a similar consistency to buttermilk or heavy cream. It should be thick enough to coat the chicken.
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken breast, then cut it into small, 3/4 to one-inch pieces. For a 2/3 lb. chicken breast you should get about 24 pieces.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the yogurt slurry, then roll it in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture until the chicken piece is fully coated. Place each coated nugget onto the wire cooling rack on the baking sheet.
- Once all of the chicken pieces are fully coated, transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the breading is browned on the edges.
- Remove the chicken nuggets from the oven and let cool for 3-5 minutes, then enjoy.
The total cost comes out to $6.24. And if the total cost if you skip the other 2 recipes is $22.23.